(En) Excerpt from a conversation | with Jesus Castillo "Realism, Intimacy and Interior Space"


(Keiko)
In the early days of Barcelona, my interest of painting human figures was to portray the person, his facial expression, especially to define the identity of the model. But then, my interest has been focused on the human figure within its environment.

(Jesus)
Why do you paint interior space?

(Keiko)
I guess it's because of the proximity. I want the atmosphere to be cozy.
I also like an intimate corner because I can get glimpse of everyday life.

(Jesus)
Do you often represent a single figure. This is the symbol of intimacy?

(Keiko)
I find a space with no one very empty. The human figure is a very important element that gives life to the environment that I represent. When I paint, what interests me is to express this life. A single figure is enough to solve my painting many times. I also think that it gives more strength to this human presence in this way.
In fact, when I am working, I don't consider the word "intimacy", I consider whether life is authentic. But I suppose that the life and the calm that I express in my painting lead the viewer towards this concept, "intimacy".

(Keiko)
I am a painter, for me the important thing is the result, the image, the painting, not what I can say.


May 31, 2020, Barcelona
Keiko Ogawa